44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Server question????

Go down 
+8
Jack_Sparrow
Shahn
chickenbranches
Kuzhito
sprucebr
Lexor90
BrelTurrin
guinness
12 posters
AuthorMessage
guinness

guinness

Server question???? Empty
PostSubject: Server question????   Server question???? EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 4:40 pm

Have they announce wether it will be like Champions, or stand alone shards.
Back to top Go down
BrelTurrin

BrelTurrin

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 5:41 pm

Exact same setup as CO, one shard server.
Back to top Go down
Lexor90

Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Yea one server which means instanced fun woohoo.
Back to top Go down
guinness

guinness

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Great wasnt a BIG fan of it in CO. Is it me or does it help make a community worse, than it would be on its own shard. The only good thing i saw was how they handled names, but that @account.name just doesnt fit in for me.
Back to top Go down
sprucebr

sprucebr

PostSubject: server   Server question???? EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, they say one server, so maybe there won't be a monthly fee. I hope.
Back to top Go down
Kuzhito

Kuzhito

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 pm

i gaurantee theres gonna be a monthly fee just for the new content/patches.
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 6:01 pm

lol there will defenitly be a monthly fee.
Back to top Go down
guinness

guinness

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptySun Nov 29, 2009 11:10 pm

Cryptic seems to like the pay to player for server upkeep, but microtransaction for flavor items, and worse repsecs.
Back to top Go down
BrelTurrin

BrelTurrin

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:46 am

It is unfortunate that respecs are considered microtransactions by Cryptic and will require real money to do so.
Back to top Go down
Shahn

Shahn

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 12:49 am

i hope there is no monthly fee, but alas there probaly will be one Sad
Back to top Go down
Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:13 am

Shahn wrote:
i hope there is no monthly fee, but alas there probaly will be one Sad

My words exactly.
Back to top Go down
guinness

guinness

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:54 am

For sucha big IP, monthly is almost asured. Paramount wants some of the pie.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm okay with paying a monthly fee, because let's be honest here, the amount of time, energy and actual money it costs Cryptic to keep the servers running, pay GMs to monitor the game, the initial development and constantly keeping the game full of new content ends-up costing them a pretty good chunk of the monthly fees. It's also a pretty good deal for the fans, because honestly it's one of the cheapest forms of entertainment around if you crunch the numbers. For example, going to the movies these days to see a new-release (at least in the US) usually costs anywhere from $7 to $15 depending on your location and local theater prices, if you throw-in snacks (funfact: movie theaters are actually classified as restaurants because they make most of their income at the concession stand) and a drink, that brings you up to $20 or more (total) just about wherever you go these days. If you bring a date to the movies, then double the price and I don't even want to think about how much it would take to bring a whole family to the movies these days. Now that's just for 90-120 (again, average) minutes of entertainment.

So if you compare the movies to $15/month (assuming they use the typical subscription fee these days) even if you only play two hours a week, that's still a fairly cheap form of entertainment. I mean, you get unlimited access, (except when the servers are down, but *sarcasm* oh no, if I lose 1-5 hours a week (when I would probably have to be at work or school anyway) it's suddenly not worth it anymore */sarcasm*) even if you throw-in snacks AND BEER from the grocery store, it's still a dirt-cheap form of entertainment. Not to say that it isn't a great deal for Cryptic because I could see the game easily breaking one million players just a few months after launch and even if Cryptic uses 90% (just a random number, I really have no idea how much of said fee actually goes to work for us, the players) of the monthly fees on upkeep, that's still at least $1.5 million a month for Cryptic, before taxes and assuming they charge the standard fee. But, getting back to the original point, I'm okay with paying a monthly fee, but anything beyond the monthly fee that requires real world money pisses me off because as long as they get more than 500,000 subscribers (and I bet they already have that many pre-orders worldwide, let alone people that haven't heard about it yet or want to get the game without pre-ordering) Cryptic will be making a nice profit for a while. (Assuming the game is good and everybody doesn't immediately quit, but that sounds like a pretty safe bet to me.)

Bottom line: microtransactions that cost more than $5 USD (or less, in most cases, for that matter) and don't require A LOT of work on Cryptic's part are just greedy and piss-off the fans.
Back to top Go down
Durgan

Durgan

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:08 pm

I like one massive server means theres always someone to meet, alot of the shard servers people are spread to thin and meeting new people gets harder the longer your there.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:28 am

One quick question, how is grouping handled when two people are in different instances and they both join the same group? Do they each have an option to switch to another instance or is it handled automatically or what?
Back to top Go down
Dietskittles

Dietskittles

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 am

Like you all said, there's definitely going to be a monthly fee. I just hope it's not too expensive because it's coming staight out of my allowance! So there aren't even any rumors as to what the monthly fee will be? (I better start saving up...)

Sorry Kugis, I didn't mean to ignore your question, but I honestly don't know the answer...
Back to top Go down
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 12:57 am

Dietskittles wrote:
Like you all said, there's definitely going to be a monthly fee. I just hope it's not too expensive because it's coming staight out of my allowance! So there aren't even any rumors as to what the monthly fee will be? (I better start saving up...)

Sorry Kugis, I didn't mean to ignore your question, but I honestly don't know the answer...

Best guess is around $15/month
Back to top Go down
Dietskittles

Dietskittles

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:04 am

Latinumbar wrote:
Dietskittles wrote:

Best guess is around $15/month

Thanks, so kinda like WoW. I guess that will only put a small dent in my monthly earnings.

(I'm going to need a bigger piggy bank...)
Back to top Go down
Durgan

Durgan

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 1:09 am

Kugis Borgir wrote:
One quick question, how is grouping handled when two people are in different instances and they both join the same group? Do they each have an option to switch to another instance or is it handled automatically or what?

I don't know for sure but if its like CO if you create a party atleast one person will have to zone out then back in and it will join the other person in there version. That can be a problem if someone is further ahead in a section I'd recommend joining the person who isn't as far just work out better that way i think.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Dietskittles wrote:

No worries in regards to my question, also $15/month seems like a pretty safe bet because that's what 90ish% of the MMOs on the market seem to be doing these days.
Back to top Go down
Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Damn !
I've used to go on concerts 4+ times on month, but now....
Sad
I need an bottle of Rum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Server question????   Server question???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Server question????
Page 1 of 1