44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

44th Fleet Vent Server

Go down 
+5
BrelTurrin
Lexor90
chickenbranches
JohnLeaf
Kugis Borgir
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

44th Fleet Vent Server Empty
PostSubject: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 pm

****************************************************************************************************************************************
***** NOTE: VENT SERVER NOT UP YET, UNLESS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN IT'S STATUS OR WANT TO HELP GET IT WORKING, DON'T BOTHER READING THIS!***************
****************************************************************************************************************************************

So, I figured that since I am technically the ranking officer in the 44th Fleet's Engineering Division, I would take it upon myself to get communications up and running well before STO's launch. Here's a list of the computers I have right now and why it's going to be a while before I can make one of them into a permanent 24/7 44th Fleet vent server:

=============================================================================================================
Computer | Specs | Other Info
=============================================================================================================
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laptop 1 (TYR) | 1.5GHz single-core, 1.5GB RAM (DDR2?), 64MB ATI video card, | overheats like all hell unless it has a cooling pad (which I own)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laptop 2 (LOKI) |2.0GHz dual-core, 4GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce 9700 | I take it with me a lot, would be available on a very inconsistent basis
Desktop 1 (ODIN) |2.5GHz dual-core, 4GB DDR2, (video card currently in THOR) | the motherboard fried, so I used some left-over components to build THOR
Desktop 2 (THOR) |3.2GHz quad-core, 6GB DDR3, GeForce 8600GT |this computer just won't be a server, if ya don't like it, tough Razz

So, here's the plan so far for each computer:

TYR: for now I can use TYR as a temporary Vent server that would be available 24/7 but I would rather not unless it is imparitave, mostly because of massive overheating issues.

LOKI: would be a stable server except for the fact that I tend to be on the move with that computer a lot and I've had way too many problems in the past from over-using laptops, so I'm trying to minimize useage on that particular computer to make it last as long as I can.

ODIN: is my top choice for the Vent server, when I get that computer up and running again, hopefully sometime around this x-mas. ODIN will be fully functional eventually, but right now it needs a replacement hard drive (since it doesn't have one right now) and an AM2 motherboard (with onboard video unless someone has a video card they can donate).

THOR: is mine, I'm going to be using this one to play STO, hopefully I'll have upgraded the graphics card by then and there's no way this box is going to make the fleet lag, but I just refuse to use this one as a server, sorry.

So, that's the run-down, I am NOT going to be asking for money donations partially because the replacement parts for ODIN are something I'm eventually going to buy for myself anyway. This is mainly just to give everyone a heads-up on the status of the fleet's vent server, but if anyone is interested in donating old* hardware to make this process go faster, send me a message and we might be able to work out some kind of a trade through the mail, especially if your interested in Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines. Anyway, for now I can create a Vent server as needed, but I doubt we will need it for anything before STO launches anyway, so hopefully by then I won't be broke and can just go buy the parts that I need to fix ODIN.

* On the off-chance that somebody actually goes out and buys hardware just to donate to the vent server project let me just say this: NO. I'm probably only going to need like $100 total (or less if I actually get my ass down to the SWAP (a weekly auction kinda near where I live where the Department of Transportation, University of Wisconsin system and various businesses and other organizations go to sell their old computers after they upgrade)) to get ODIN working (it won't be pretty, but it'll work) between the hard drive and motherboard, I should be able to get that kind of cash to blow by a little after x-mas at the latest, so don't go out and waste your money on a piece of hardware that isn't really even required since anyone in the fleet can host vent on the same computer that they are playing STO on (when it comes out, that is), I just figured it would be nice to have a dedicated server everyone can go to that will always be up and nobody will even have to think about it and it would also be a fun project for me just to see if I can.
Back to top Go down
JohnLeaf

JohnLeaf

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 10:01 pm

Just a side note, but I have a Ventrilo server that my friend's friend is host of that we could use to talk if anyone wants. Sometimes people are in there so it wouldn't be a private server but here is the info:

HostIP/name: Carbon.typefrag.com
Port: 8944

-Ensign John
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks for the help and info, on behalf of the entire engineering department (44th Fleet Vent Server Lol ) "we" owe ya one.

EDIT: At the time this was posted, I was the only member of the engineering department... unless you count Latinumbar who was the admiral of sciences (which engineering falls under) at the time.

Last edited by Kugis Borgir on Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 10:25 pm

I have a vent server that I use for my guild on WoW but most of the time theres only like 5 ppl in it or so and it can hold 35 ppl. When STO comes out I plan to quit WoW but ill keep the vent for us to use. Meanwhile youll can use it whenever you like. If you want to use my vent just let me know and ill post the vent info.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Awesome, thank you much!
Back to top Go down
Lexor90

Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 3:19 am

I have a vent server as well that I have sole access of and if it becomes necessary the fleet is welcome to it. Just give me a layout of channels and such and if you want certain channels password protected for the higher ups and / or division separation.

EDIT: At the time I posted this I did not give a completed post. I forgot what I had used my server for and I just remembered that it was for my WoW arena teams which never was larger then 5 at any given time. Currently if anyone knows this but free vent servers are limited to 8 max but seeing as how that is I am in the process of circumventing 8 max. However I do have access to another server I just have to ask the Admins if it is possible to use theirs which as far as I remember has no limit and a large bandwidth.

Last edited by Lexor90 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgotten info)
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 5:42 pm

I want to give a big thanks to John, branches (I figured chicken probably wouldn't be the most desirable nickname, heh) and Lex for offering services that, quite frankly, would have been a big headache for me to try to get up and running while managing a side project or two for the fleet and keeping my GPA up. At some point, I may yet build a computer that could be used as a(n) (additional) permanent fleet vent server because, well, in my mind one can never have too many computers at one's disposal, heh. Anyway, thanks again to those who have helped out with an issue that will be quite important after STO launches.
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 9:20 pm

well I actually pay for my vent server so I currently can have up to 35 people on it at any time.
Back to top Go down
JohnLeaf

JohnLeaf

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 10:41 pm

I was thinking that we use the vent server regularly not just when STO comes up. Chicken, what's the hostname IP and Port? I'll come on every day if you have the info =P Hope someone else comes on also...
Back to top Go down
Lexor90

Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySat Oct 24, 2009 11:31 pm

How much do you pay for 35 ppl per month? It has got to be around 8-12 dollars a month for it.

You could say that I'm a techie trekkie Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 11:28 am

Well, with the cost factor in mind, I'll see if I can't get that computer built faster so we can have free fleet-vent, with any luck I'll be done with everything sometime between Thanksgiving and x-mas. By the way, if anyone knows how much bandwidth I should expect to be using for up to 40 people on VOIP software, it would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Lexor90

Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 pm

That is a hard question to answer it all comes down to what codec and sample rate that you as the server admin will have to implement. 3 20 Speex (16 KHz, 16 bit, 9 Qlty) 4344 bytes/sec is a good place to start since speex has 33 different options to choose from compared to the 4 GSM options and if anyone uses a Mac Speex is the only way they can connect correctly to the server. Distance is another factor, http://www.speedtest.net/ is a good place to go to get a general idea of what down and upload speeds you have. Honestly though as long as you have a high speed connection it should be ok and there may be a few hiccups along the way to finding the perfect setting with the least lag but thats what tests are for. I do not wanna give an answer to your bandwidth question because for me I have not run a server over 8 people yet and I never had an issue at the number. I gave up on trying to hack my vent server into allowing more then 8 cause I just end kept crashing it.
Back to top Go down
BrelTurrin

BrelTurrin

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 2:31 pm

The bandwitdh required would be pretty minimal I think. As long as you have a decent upload speed (over 1m) then shouldnt be a problem. Only thing I could see being a problem would be if you had a low bandwidth DSL connection and did a lot of torrenting or other filesharing. I've had issues there where even the upstairs computer couldnt connect to a website if I was doing anything in the basement. But as long as you have a strong DSL connection or a cable modem you should be all good.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:32 pm

So, I tried testing a server on each side of the US and one within 50 miles, it looks like I get a fairly constant 1 megabit upload speed within the US. Unfortunately, it looks like Europe is another story because there seems to be a lot of variability depending on how much infrastructure there is. When trying a server in London I almost got up to the 1 meg average for the US, Oslo was .6-.8 and Frankfurt was around .7-.9, the problems with European connections would come from anyone living in the middle of nowhere, ex. a server I tried in Norway (Trondheim was one of the most remote locations I could find, even though it's not exactly a tiny city with a population of almost 170,000) that maxed-out at .6 but averaged around .4 but from the sound of things (and where most of our non-US fleet members seem to be) that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Thanks for the quick responses, by the way.
Back to top Go down
Lexor90

Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 3:45 pm

It's what we are here for. If by some extenuating circumstances we ever require a server larger then 40 I'm sure we can find a way to rent server space. I saw some good prices per month that weren't outrageous. I'm still in the middle of negotiating with my friend for access to his vent server but I should get an answer by Thursday. If by somehow he says no theres always another way, it's just about how we find that way.
Back to top Go down
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 9:49 pm

JohnLeaf wrote:
I was thinking that we use the vent server regularly not just when STO comes up. Chicken, what's the hostname IP and Port? I'll come on every day if you have the info =P Hope someone else comes on also...

Look on page 1 of "Chat box ideas" thread in the tactics forum.
Back to top Go down
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 9:59 pm

So, I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in. First of all, I am not that tech saavy so bear with me please.

I am most likely going to get a new desktop before the end of the year. My current one is over 6 years old, and is getting really slow. Anyhow, would a new desktop be able to function as a vent server in addition to playing the game? My budget is to be $1K or less. I don't have the time to build my own, so I plan on just getting one through Costco. Currently, I can get Windows 7 with an I-7 chip, 8G RAM, 1G video card for that price. As Christmas approaches, there may be better deals. I have cable internet. Would this even work as a server and also play the game at the same time?
Back to top Go down
mike45

mike45

PostSubject: need to be up to date   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 10:38 pm

sorry but can someone tell me wat a ventserver is
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 10:58 pm

It is a form of communicating online with other people using voice. The program is ventrilo is you want to look it up online. Just check the forum chatbox ideas for the info to my vent server for whoever wants to use it.
Back to top Go down
BrelTurrin

BrelTurrin

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 12:02 am

I would imaging that any new PC bought today would be more than capable of running a ventrilo server... It would largely depend on the internet connection.. and since you have cable Admiral, I think you'll be in buisness.
Back to top Go down
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 12:18 am

Well, I'm sure it can run it, but can it run it and ALSO play the game at the same time? That might be a different story.

btw, I hope I don't sound unappreciative of your server, Branches. I only mentioned it because it is the "FREE" option (at least for the fleet as a whole). If you are going to keep your server anyway, then I would certainly be agreeable.
Back to top Go down
JohnLeaf

JohnLeaf

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 9:04 am

Latinumbar wrote:
JohnLeaf wrote:

Look on page 1 of "Chat box ideas" thread in the tactics forum.
Yes but I multitask and use vent often because I'm too busy to keep checking tabs =P
Back to top Go down
Krulle

Krulle

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 3:32 pm

well if anything I can just as easily pay for one, though atm it doesn't seem like it's a huge issue. It's really not all that much per month for a decent sized server from what I can remember.
Back to top Go down
Lexor90

Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Krulle wrote:
well if anything I can just as easily pay for one, though atm it doesn't seem like it's a huge issue. It's really not all that much per month for a decent sized server from what I can remember.

Yea it ranges depending on the host you order from but generally for 50 its around 15 bucks a month some may be less and some may be more.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 6:25 pm

Hmmm... that's not too bad of a price and if my plans fall through, that will probably be the way to go. However, sooner or later (probably just after x-mas since I'm going to get about a month off then) I ought to have some free time and spare cash and that means I'll get an itch to start some kind of project. I've also been planning for the longest time to rebuild a half-cannibalized computer I have lying around, so I figured that I might as well combine the two. Not to mention, who can honestly say they would rather pay for something than have it for free? lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 44th Fleet Vent Server   44th Fleet Vent Server Empty

Back to top Go down

44th Fleet Vent Server
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next