44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hardware question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

Hardware question Empty
PostSubject: Hardware question   Hardware question EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:55 pm

As some of you are aware, I am purchasing a new desktop in the near future as my old one is dying being over 6 years old, and running really slow. My question is the difference between and i5 and i7 chip. Is there that big a difference? I understand that the i7 has "hyperthreading" capability, but is this something that I really need? I do some occassional video editing, but otherwise, the only other hardware intensive application would be STO. (btw, I'm planning at least 1G vid card and 6G RAM regardless of the chip). I can get this set up (plus HD monitor) for under a grand if I go with the i5.
Back to top Go down
offcaboose

offcaboose

Hardware question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hardware question   Hardware question EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:58 pm

personally there isn't really anything different between the two, i was given the same option when i went to get a price for my new machine.

the i7 is used for video editing, and if u ever plan on recording gameplay or recording fleet events ..... otherwise the i5 is superrior way to go ...

ALSO!! One Grand where the hell are you going? give me the items and i can prob built it for 500 ... thats what my machine is gunna cost me at 4 gb of ram 1gb vid card and the i5
Back to top Go down
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

Hardware question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hardware question   Hardware question EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 6:30 pm

Yeah, I know I can get it cheaper building it myself. But the 2 main problem in that is time and skill. I'm not a real tech saavy guy. (Heck, I'm just glad that CB figured out what the problem was with my vent settings the other day). Although I'm sure I could eventually figure it out, it would just not be time effective for me to do so. It's not something that I do everyday. Plus, if there was something wrong, I wouldn't really know where to begin trouble-shooting it.

I'm planning on buying from Costco. At least they are a resource if there is something goes wrong with it, and returns are easy with them. With 2 kids, work, and family, I'd rather be spending my spare time playing STO and performing my duties for the fleet than trying to get my computer working.

I guess it's true what Einstein figured out (or maybe it was Gary Larson), that TIME=$$$.
Back to top Go down
offcaboose

offcaboose

Hardware question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hardware question   Hardware question EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 6:40 pm

lol well, i would say the i5 then if its just for sto and the web
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

Hardware question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hardware question   Hardware question EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Honestly, I would say to take the money you would spend on the better processor and put that into getting a top-of-the-line video card, because when It comes to playing games, the CPU takes a backseat to the video card in terms of importance and the actual good it can do. But if your looking to be playing STO on the maxed out graphics while running a word processor, a web browser with 15 tabs open, watching a movie and maybe rendering 3D models all at the same time, yeah you might need a processor with like 8 or 16 cores. As for RAM, 6 gigs should be enough to run whatever version of Windows you have on the prettiest mode and play STO on maxed out graphics, but you probably wouldn't be able to do a whole lot else, maybe run a web browser in the background without any performance decrease, but I wouldn't push it much past that without upgrading RAM and having a decent CPU. Basically what I'm trying to get across is that if you have a dual-core 2.0GHZ CPU or better and at least 4GB of RAM (<-- not very much these days in terms of what it could be and price), the only component that will really matter is your video card, and any video card 1GB or above will do ya fine for the next three to four years at least.

EDIT: Also, hyperthreading will really only help you if you do a lot of multitasking with things that actually take up some horsepower. From what I understand, hyperthreading basically just helps the computer allocate CPU usage more efficiently when your trying to do more than one or two things at a time, so if your just typing up text files/surfin' the web or playing games then you don't really need it. However, if your surfin' the web, typing up a text document, playing a game, watching a movie, running some kind of packet-capture software on your network AND trying to do something else, yeah, you will need hyperthreading.

EDIT#2: If your somewhere between the levels of multitasking listed in the last two sentences of EDIT, then hyperthreading can't hurt, but it's probably not necessary per se.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hardware question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hardware question   Hardware question Empty

Back to top Go down

Hardware question
Page 1 of 1