44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Stardate calculator

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

Stardate calculator Empty
PostSubject: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:18 am

Here’s a nice little tool for your RPing.
http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm
Back to top Go down
http://supersly.hyves.nl/blog/13214728/Social_Decay/mxYk/
Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:50 am

This is cool.
Thx.
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:55 am

No prob, Jack. Smile
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:12 am

Interesting, I wonder what kind of a formula that thing is supposed to use because some writers have said that most of the time stardates were arbitrarily chosen. Apparently they got a little more consistent with how they chose stardates sometime in TNG, but it doesn't seem like they ever actually had an equation of any sort.
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:06 am

Kugis Borgir wrote:
Interesting, I wonder what kind of a formula that thing is supposed to use because some writers have said that most of the time stardates were arbitrarily chosen. Apparently they got a little more consistent with how they chose stardates sometime in TNG, but it doesn't seem like they ever actually had an equation of any sort.
Hmmmm that’s a good question...
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:17 am

Maybe it just spits-out a random number and calls it a stardate. lol
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:32 am

Kugis Borgir wrote:
Its definitely not random, I’ve tested it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 4:49 pm

Dondead wrote:
Kugis Borgir wrote:

Good to know... by the way, one other thing I've been wondering about for a while now is how do Starfleet ships (or any ships in trek for that matter) resist the effects of time dilation? For example, if the ship is flying at warp X and tries to send any kind of communication (and I'm not sure if the same rules that we all have to work around in normal space apply to subspace transmissions) wouldn't it seem like the person speaking on the ship is going in super-slow motion? Like, to the point where it looks like they are standing perfectly still, or was the whole relativity thing just a lie in Star Trek?
Back to top Go down
Gopher777

Gopher777

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:09 pm

Kugis Borgir wrote:
Dondead wrote:
Kugis Borgir wrote:

Good to know... by the way, one other thing I've been wondering about for a while now is how do Starfleet ships (or any ships in trek for that matter) resist the effects of time dilation? For example, if the ship is flying at warp X and tries to send any kind of communication (and I'm not sure if the same rules that we all have to work around in normal space apply to subspace transmissions) wouldn't it seem like the person speaking on the ship is going in super-slow motion? Like, to the point where it looks like they are standing perfectly still, or was the whole relativity thing just a lie in Star Trek?

In Star Trek, real sci-fi is bend quite a bit, so it is a lie in Star Trek, lol.

Btw thanks Admiral!
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:41 pm

Gopher777 wrote:

In Star Trek, real sci-fi is bend quite a bit, so it is a lie in Star Trek, lol.

Btw thanks Admiral!

Actually, most of the Trek writers throughout the various series have had legit scientists on-board as consultants. Those scientists provide all sorts of far-fetched (but plausible and based on real science) ideas that take the cutting-edge of what we know/theorize about the universe and often throw bits into the script that sound like "I need to get the <insert device here> back online! Otherwise, we won't be able to escape and/or stop <insert scientific phenomena here>!" For example, take how the ships are able to generate so much power with no pollution: they run on Deuterium, (contrary to popular belief that they run on Dilithium crystals, the crystals are actually used (in the show) to focus the reaction somehow) and Deuterium is another name for H3 (I've also heard it referred to as hydronium) which is found in "heavy water" which is actually a viable means in real-life of generating nuclear fusion in a controlled setting which actually would provide the kind of power required to do all the crazy stuff they do on Star Trek. What I was getting at in my last post is the crazy reason and/or device they come up with for why, in this case time dilation, isn't a problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stardate calculator   Stardate calculator Empty

Back to top Go down

Stardate calculator
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
44th Fleet :: Fleet Divisions :: Role Play Forum-
Jump to: