44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Something To Think About...

Go down 
+4
Intrepid
Dondead
BrelTurrin
Carlitosway
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Carlitosway

Something To Think About... Empty
PostSubject: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 am

deleted

Last edited by Carlitosway on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrelTurrin

BrelTurrin

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 am

You are definately correct about STO and not getting our hopes up... but I wouldn't put too much credit into all the nay sayers on the STO forums if they are starting to throw you off. I've spoken directly with people who are playing beta and am hearing lots of positive things. Definately hang on to your WoW account if you still enjoy playing it, I personally quit the game not because STO was coming out, but because it became an unhealty aspect of my life. 8 hours a day, 7 days a week playing it.... and that was with a full time job on top of it. That game was a time vampire for me and things are so much nicer now that I deleted my characters. I don't even think about it anymore.
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:56 am

Judging from the way I’m enjoying Champions Online, I wouldn’t be to worried about Star Trek Online.
Its gonna be great!

One things for sure, I’ll never go back to WoW!
I’dd rather play CO then, its lots of fun. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://supersly.hyves.nl/blog/13214728/Social_Decay/mxYk/
Intrepid
Admiral
Intrepid

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 4:40 pm

Can someone please explain to the clueless admiral what they mean by shards? I am not aware of the CO server setup

I know for WoW they had lots of different servers with instances in a few places.
Back to top Go down
Vampyre

Vampyre

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Simply put. this is how WoW works.

Host realm= 3 main servers. one for each containat.
a. 1 25 man raid instance server. this covers all the 25 man instance along with its 10 man contuer part. this means its "sharded" or shared.
b. 1 server for all 5 man instances.

STO will work with a sharding method. One huger uber leet haxor server that is just split within itself. Think like guild wars. same basic concept.

What cryptic is doing is cutting down on server space and trying to keep things on one server hud. this could bea good thing or bad thing depending on player responce to game launch.

Guildwars had areas that was mass player areas. towns and cities. Mission "instances" are shared with in the main server to seperat the player base. Unless you are on that part of the "quest" or story line or group the rest of the player base can not follow or see you.

this ofcourse is IF they plan to do it this way.

What is known is that STO will not have hundreds of servers. they plan on one giant server to handle the load.
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:59 pm

Its kinda like having each region instanced.
Let’s take the Barrens in WoW, in CO it would be one huge instance.
And there would be multiple of these instances running simultaneously.
Whenever you enter one of these instances, a little menu pops up, showing all the running instances from the particular region.
The menu will show information like, the amount of players or friends that are in each instance.

Anyway, these instances are called shards.
Back to top Go down
Vampyre

Vampyre

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 6:02 pm

yeah what don said.
Razz
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that the entire industry (except Sony Online Entertainment and perhaps a couple other companies) has taken note of the fact that when you screw with a game like they did with SWG, you basically kill it. This is not to say that there isn't any chance of Cryptic screwing over the game like Sony did with SWG, but just that Cryptic probably has enough common sense to learn from Sony's mistake.
Back to top Go down
Lexor90

Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:02 pm

lol they probably haven't learned anything from others mistakes. EA, Sony, even Blizzard have screwed up on their MMO's. Blizzard frankly took all the fun out of playing WoW when they lowered expectations for certain parts in a characters advancement. Not to mention taking all the class specific quests and not bothering to continue with that idea.
Back to top Go down
Carlitosway

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Lexor90 wrote:
lol they probably haven't learned anything from others mistakes. EA, Sony, even Blizzard have screwed up on their MMO's. Blizzard frankly took all the fun out of playing WoW when they lowered expectations for certain parts in a characters advancement. Not to mention taking all the class specific quests and not bothering to continue with that idea.

I agree totally with you Lexor.
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 4:19 am

So true... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 6:53 am

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry to much, really...
After playing CO for a wile, I have full confidence in Cryptic.
Sure there will be some balancing issues and hiccups at start.
But they’ll be ironed out soon enough, just wait and see.
In the end the game will be loads of fun. Wink
Back to top Go down
BrelTurrin

BrelTurrin

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 2:19 am

I find CO very boring for some reason. Just endless gopher quests and button mashing. I can't get past lvl 10 without wanting to scratch out my eyes. Looks like STO has a bit more strategy to it. Although anything with a star trek skin thrown on it will have my attention for at least a little bit Smile

The end of WoW for me came when the tournament got released and they gave heroic farmers access to T8 gear. Just killed it for me since I spent so much time raiding. Then they're talking about simplifying gear statistics because people complained that all the "theorycrafting" involved was too hard. I just had to get out while the getting was good.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Lexor90 wrote:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Blizz ****ed up bad with the endgame in WoW (though I did enjoy the grind to 80 for the most part) but I was referring more to companies completely turning their games upside-down in terms of balance/class roles. *shakes fist at Sony* Again, using WoW as an example, Blizz changed-up a lot of stuff, but (for example) it's not like they made a bunch of epic mage spells that can only be used in melee range, that would be the kind of epic **** up that would one-up SOE. Unfortunately, I'm not really familiar enough with EA's work to comment on them.
Back to top Go down
asrock

asrock

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:34 pm

What trulybored and upset me with WOW is the missions where say you gotta collect 10 bat wiings, but you gotta kill 60 of them to get 10, but yet do not all bats have wings????!!?!??!?!?!? Got to be really boring just grinding away to complete a quest, there r other ways to make the game last longer than that.
Back to top Go down
http://cgcomputerz.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something To Think About...   Something To Think About... Empty

Back to top Go down

Something To Think About...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
44th Fleet :: Fleet Command :: General Discussions-
Jump to: