44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

About That Weather...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

About That Weather... Empty
PostSubject: About That Weather...   About That Weather... EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:15 pm

While it's been unseasonably warm in my region, winter is still right around the corner and winter in the northern US usually means snow. On that note, I feel it is my duty to spread the word about cold weather driving as best as I can. This webcomic http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=77 expresses my feelings on the subject perfectly. Show this one to your family and friends if they are not offended by coarse language!
Back to top Go down
Shadowfox1701

Shadowfox1701

PostSubject: Re: About That Weather...   About That Weather... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:09 pm

I LOVE VGCats. been in CT for about 6 months now and people keep telling me it's unseasonably warm. Me? I wouldn't know. I'm from West Palm Beach FL and it's still in the upper 70's low 80's down there. here it's nice and cool and i get to drive with my windows down. *sigh* I'll never understand the northern mentality regarding winter.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: About That Weather...   About That Weather... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Shadowfox1701 wrote:
... people keep telling me it's unseasonably warm. Me? I wouldn't know. I'm from West Palm Beach FL ...

Heh, yeah, anywhere north of Kentucky or so doesn't get much above 40F/4.5C (usually) this time of year and you can expect the temperature to keep dropping slightly, day-by-day until sometime around late January. Then it gradually starts to get warmer and warmer until some time around September. At that point the temperature is supposed to drop pretty sharply over the course of a month or two, but this year it doesn't seem to be working out that way...

Shadowfox1701 wrote:
... *sigh* I'll never understand the northern mentality regarding winter.

Surprisingly, (at least where I live) there is a pretty wide variety of opinions on northern winters. Most people (again, I can't speak for opinions outside of my area, which is in/around Madison, WI) don't really care one way or the other about the winter as long as they don't have to spend more than an hour a week shoveling snow and have a warm coat. However, some people can't stand the winters here and endlessly complain about it. Myself, I'm in the biggest minority of all (opinion-wise) who love the northern winters, I can't get enough of 'em... unless we get a hella lot of snow and I have to spend hours upon hours shoveling and/or if the temperature drops blow -15F/-26C, then winter can go screw itself as far as I'm concerned.

This also brings up something I've noticed, and I'm not trying to sound sexist or anything, but it's just what I've seen. Most women just don't seem to be able to handle the northern winters as well as most men, not to say that there aren't a fair amount of exceptions to the rule. I don't know if it's a biological thing or just not dressing warmly enough in favor of something more fashionable, which I see time and time again, or if it's just a macho thing where women feel more comfortable complaining about the cold (which for most men, among friends, warrants calling the complainer a 'wuss' (to use a more forum-friendly term) to say the least) but anyway, the bottom line is still the same. There does, however, seem to be a universal constant of something that sucks about northern winters: drivers. I can't explain it at all, but regardless of race, gender or even how long one has lived in the north, there's always someone on the roads that feels it's necessary at the first sign of snow to drive between 5 and 20 ******* mother ****ing *************** **************** miles per hour down the *********** ************** ********* highway where the speed limit is 55MPH. I've seen it before, it causes me endless road rage and reminds me why I will never carry a weapon of any kind (even a sword) in my car that isn't safely stored in the trunk. lol

EDIT: For those of you unfamiliar with cold weather driving, let me put it this way, it's kind of like driving in heavy rain. You don't want to go too fast because that's just asking for trouble, but unless there is a lot of ice on the roads or it's snowing REALLY bad, there is no excuse for driving more than 5-10 MPH below the speed limit on back-roads* that aren't well plowed and on highways there is no excuse for driving below the speed limit at all, again unless there's ice or it's snowing really, really bad.

* Depending on the condition of the road because in the north, the annual transition from sub-freezing to warm weather puts a lot of stress on the roads. This tends to, well, destroy the roads by making them crack, buckle or otherwise disintegrate in places. That being said, a road with a lot of cracks/holes in it that gets covered with snow AND/OR ice can be very dangerous, so it is generally acceptable in the north to drive more slowly on back-roads and in residential areas during the winter.
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: About That Weather...   About That Weather... EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 5:49 pm

winter?? whats that, im from Texas!
Back to top Go down
Shadowfox1701

Shadowfox1701

PostSubject: Re: About That Weather...   About That Weather... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 12:27 am

lol I learned to drive in snow last year. ran a stop light and two stop signs before i got the hang of it. I learned last year that snow is fun to play in, NOT to drive in. also in Southern FL winter is about upper 70's to low 60's, from december to feb. otherwise it's upper 80's to lower 90's with lows in the upper 70's lol
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: About That Weather...   About That Weather... EmptyWed Nov 25, 2009 1:15 am

chickenbranches wrote:
winter?? whats that, im from Texas!

LOL That seems to be the case from what I hear. (I have a few friends that are either from or travel back & forth to Texas.)

Shadowfox1701 wrote:
lol I learned to drive in snow last year. ran a stop light and two stop signs before i got the hang of it. I learned last year that snow is fun to play in, NOT to drive in. also in Southern FL winter is about upper 70's to low 60's, from december to feb. otherwise it's upper 80's to lower 90's with lows in the upper 70's lol

Man, idunno if I could handle that, anything above 75 with more than average humidity and I start sweating like crazy.

EDIT: On that note, if nobody has heard of POWERTHIRST, then go here now!
Back to top Go down
asrock

asrock

PostSubject: Re: About That Weather...   About That Weather... EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 3:14 pm

I grew up on tropical islands, lived 3 years in Chicago, and 2 years in the desert, so I have seen it all I think, snow is good to visit, but I will keep my tempreat weather.
Back to top Go down
http://cgcomputerz.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About That Weather...   About That Weather... Empty

Back to top Go down

About That Weather...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
44th Fleet :: Fleet Command :: General Discussions-
Jump to: