44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Off-Topic/Social Stuff...

Go down 
+3
Dondead
chickenbranches
Kugis Borgir
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

Off-Topic/Social Stuff... Empty
PostSubject: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 6:48 pm

So, I got on a bit of a roll while editing a post today (included below) and I would like to hear everyone's ideas on how to get a good social atmosphere going at launch. This could be very important for reasons outlined below but also because player/fleet structures would make this a lot easier, however that will will not be an option for some time. With that said, here's the post:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: Re: how will we travel???
Dondead wrote:
Personally, I’ll be traveling in groups as much as possible. Simply because it’s more fun. Smile

I think I'll be following suit quite often, though I'm sure I'll also be spending quite a bit of time cruisin' around on my own. One of my favorite things to do in SWG and WoW (especially after they introduced flying mounts) was always just going around and looking at the environment; if the zone had relaxing music, it just made the experience even better. Before I canceled my WoW account and after I got Cold Weather Flying, The Grizzly Hills, The Storm Peaks and Wintergrasp have been my favorite spots to just cruise around.

I'm also pretty sure that we will be able to send each other waypoints or coordinates of some sort so traveling together will be a breeze.

EDIT:
On that note, I suspect the fleet will eventually find a spot in-game where our base of operations/central-hub will be. I suspect we will also have an "outpost" (I use the term loosely because it's going to be a while before player structures get implemented) or meeting area in one of the first few hubs/zones/whatever out from the starting area in the interest of actually including new/"low level" fleet members in fleet activities or just to get them on their feet. I suggest this mostly because when I was just starting out (and didn't know anyone IRL at the time who played) in WoW, I joined a guild after I had a dozen or two hours of gameplay under my belt. I had the basics down, but I still had no idea how a lot of the game's features were supposed to work, and yes, I did read the manual, but Blizz didn't put a whole lot of work into that one. Anyway, the point of that info is leading up to this: I would keep an eye on the guild chat and because of the kind of typing you would expect out of a WoW guild, so to use the old adage, it was all Greek to me. Most of the guild members were a much higher level than I was and would help with quests if you asked, but didn't really try to interact at all. Granted, I've gone off on quite a bit of a tangent here, but what I'm getting at (relating to travel) is that if we have a designated meeting point or two (almost like telling everyone where to set their hearthstone) fleet members will end up being in close proximity more often and thus improve communication, which could be a great boon to making teh newbs feel welcome and making the whole experience a little more real, more human.

EDIT#2:
I figured it might be a good idea to provide some context. I'm very vocal on the subject of including people because there was some sharp contrast between my WoW and SWG expeirences. In SWG, a buddy of mine IRL who I've been friends with since I was like nine years old at summer camp eventually convinced me to pick up a copy of the game. Right away, I had someone to show me the ropes and get me into a fairly small, close-knit guild where people would actually take the time to just hang out at cantinas to chat about anything from guild politics to recent gameplay changes to how things are going IRL and they always made time to help out the new guys. Eventually more and more guild members left the game as it became increasingly unplayable, but it really shaped what I expected of a guild in an MMO from that point on, something that I never got out of WoW. In WoW, people were always doing their own thing and bouncing around from city to city or zone to zone for whatever reason; everything was rush, rush, rush, do your quests, go raid, AH your loot and nobody ever took the time to connect on any kind of a personal level.

I'm also not saying it was because of the way the games were set up, not to say that the game structure didn't influence the players at all, but more that the players wouldn't travel together unless they were raiding in WoW because they didn't see a reason to, they all had their eyes on the prize and hardly anything else. SWG, on the other hand was a less objective-oriented game, you were just some schmuck in the Star Wars universe. The two types of games attracted different crowds and most of (but certainly not all of) them had different attitudes on how to treat newbs. I'm hoping that STO will have a good blend of the two styles where there will be objectives and reasons to group together, but also plenty of "down time" or opportunities to just chill with your fleet members in a relaxed setting with an interesting environment that isn't always a crowded as hell commerce center looping the same music every thirty seconds*. *phew* Now that I'm done with that spiel, let's hear from someone else already!

* Yet another reason why I liked SWG better than WoW: the Musician profession. It always made social settings a little more fun to have "live" music that required a player (or several players to make a band), sounded half way decent and made an impact in-game.

EDIT#3:
I also never intended this post to be straight-up WoW bashing. WoW is a fun game, I love it and if I hadn't gotten bored with the level 80 content after a couple months, I would probably still be playing. I just wanted to say that it comes up short in the social realm, partially because of the way the game is set-up and partially because most of the players that I've encountered were very goal-oriented and I guess they just didn't think a lot of chit-chat would do them any good. I bet there are tons of people, probably even a few in this fleet that have had positive social experiences with WoW. This post was just intended to be a reminder that without in-game interaction that goes beyond "WTB ITEM X, PST", the social element of STO could quickly become very stale.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 7:07 pm

I believe it has a lot to do with the people you play with, not just the game mechanics. I know in WoW the reason you dont do much together is because in a group, things usually take longer because of reduced exp or waiting to get the loot that more then 1 person needs. The way that I made up for that with my guild is that we were always on vent. Vent allows you to interact with your fellow fleet officers or guild members no matter what you are doing. I agree that we need to do things as groups which I am sure we will. Since end game raid content will mostly be 5 mans, they will be easy to set up on the fly which means they will be frequently occuring. I also see no reason why we can't go exploring as a group. Right now we have 4 people that have been active on vent recently so we are getting to know each other. We will probably do things together in game just because we already know each other. The more people that log in vent and start getting to know each other, the more social our fleet will be. I personally am always logged in vent if im on my computer even if im not playing a game. The social experience of a game is what you make it.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 7:21 pm

Wow, you really hit the nail on the head there. Vent can be a great tool for social stuff, however we should definitely not be putting all our eggs in one basket. No offense or puns intended there, chickenbranches. I never intended anything discussed here to replace vent, just supplement it for people (myself included) for whom vent is not always an option. In my own case, I'm currently living with my family (that will change when I get myself a real job) which includes my parents and two younger brothers, and the walls here aren't exactly sound-proof if you catch my drift. So in the interest of not pissing off my entire family I never use a mic after about 10pm (US central time, -6:00). That being said, I'm just looking to explore options for alternate methods of keeping social interaction alive and well in STO.
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 7:28 pm

All very good points. Guess I’ll install vent soon, even if it’s just to socialize. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://supersly.hyves.nl/blog/13214728/Social_Decay/mxYk/
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 7:39 pm

hmm I tried to post something but it didnt go through so ill try again...

I understand that it may not be possible for everyone to be on vent all the time I was just sharing whats been most effective in my time as a mmo gamer. Hopefully taking part in chatting in the fleet channel and scheduleing things like raiding or just exploring with people could also help to encourage a social atmosphere. sorry if I made it sound like vent was the only way to do it, its just been most effective in my past. Hopefully they will implement a fleet starbase that we can contsruct soon or maybe we can just choose a system where we base our operations from like you were saying.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 7:56 pm

chickenbranches wrote:
... sorry if I made it sound like vent was the only way to do it, its just been most effective in my past. ...

No worries, I completely understand where your coming from and am glad that you are contributing to the growing brainstorm. I probably could have done a better job of explaining my position and ideas for a fleet-based social structure (both figuratively and literally Razz ) from the beginning.
Back to top Go down
Shadowfox1701

Shadowfox1701

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 12:17 am

I think you have a valid concern. I have vent however i don't tend to use it. Mostly due to the fact that when i play wow(which is getting less and less by the week) i tend to have my music playing in the background thru iTunes. which means i won't hear a word anyone says. that being said, thats usually only when i solo. in a group the music is off in favor of vent. I am however very active in the guild chat and will be active in, i guess i can call it fleet chat, in STO. I'll will program the fleet's vent info into my vent and attempt to get on at least once or twice this week, however since i am changing commands i can't make any guarantees. but wether it's vent or fleet chat, expect to see me talking to people or posting random comments in the dead space between convo's lol
Back to top Go down
asrock

asrock

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 1:24 am

Just my thoughts on Voice over IP systems, I have used Vent, and TeamSpeak both are very effective, but it my experience Vent is much more difficult for those of none technical minds to setup than TS is. Not picking on anyone just been my experience, I have both and can use either.
Back to top Go down
http://cgcomputerz.com
Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 am

Teamspeak is the one.
Other stuff = just bad copyes.
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Actually Vent ftw and thats what we are using so I recommend people sign on and get a feel for how it works before the game is released.
Back to top Go down
Nrrdboi

Nrrdboi

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 6:58 pm

i will throw my 2 cents in i guess...

game content plays a part in the overall experience...you want enough there to make you want to continue on...STO has the luxury of if you reach end game, it does not have to end, you can 'explore' and do other things...the universe is vast with many things to see...

my experience with MMOs have been pretty good...i played with a real good friend of mine starting way back on XBOX...went to FFXI with him and had a blast, granted the game meant teaming up ALOT! but while you were waiting you basically ended up shootin the breeze...and at that time we did not let people in our linkshell unless they XBOX live...lol...voice chat made things so much easier in that game...strategy and what not...or to just joke and have fun

granted not everyone can voice chat but i as always stated typing is SO last century...lol...i hate to type while playing (doesnt mean i wont do it) i just hate stopping what i am doing to type...lol...

so i think i lost my train of thought...o yeah! what it boils down to is the people that play the game...who you run around with so to speak...so far the people here seem pretty friendly...i see 44th Fleet all over the STO boards...lmao

granted you will come across the random idiot from time to time thats a given (hooray for the human race!)

um...yeah i hope this is on topic

peace
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Nrrdboi wrote:

um...yeah i hope this is on topic

peace

You made a few good points in your post and I don't think you have to worry about staying on topic when the thread has "Off-Topic" in the title. lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off-Topic/Social Stuff...   Off-Topic/Social Stuff... Empty

Back to top Go down

Off-Topic/Social Stuff...
Page 1 of 1