44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

how will we travel???

Go down 
+8
Shadowfox1701
chickenbranches
Carlitosway
Dondead
waltflowers
Kugis Borgir
Desmond2411
mike45
12 posters
AuthorMessage
mike45

mike45

how will we travel??? Empty
PostSubject: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 1:38 pm

i just wanted to know how will we be traveling will we go alone and send a distress call for help or go together as a huge fleet of ships
Back to top Go down
Desmond2411

Desmond2411

PostSubject: Traveling   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 1:42 pm

I think it would be most fun to travel as a fleet. But, it also depends on the situation in the game.
Back to top Go down
mike45

mike45

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 2:18 pm

also will we send out groups of people like alpha and delta
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 4:24 pm

A lot of that will also depend on when people are online and their real life schedules, lol.
Back to top Go down
waltflowers

waltflowers

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 4:27 pm

Fist in to clear the way last out to make sure everyone comes home. We do need a special ops section to go into some areas first before commiting a large number of ships
Back to top Go down
waltflowers

waltflowers

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 4:28 pm

I could have been a real smart aris and said by star ships
Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 4:59 pm

waltflowers wrote:
Twisted Evil
LOL Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://supersly.hyves.nl/blog/13214728/Social_Decay/mxYk/
Carlitosway

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 5:18 pm

waltflowers wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:28 am

That wouldn't be a nice thing to say to him as he is only asking a question don't ya think????
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Personally, I’ll be traveling in groups as much as possible. Simply because it’s more fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://supersly.hyves.nl/blog/13214728/Social_Decay/mxYk/
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Dondead wrote:
Personally, I’ll be traveling in groups as much as possible. Simply because it’s more fun. Smile

I think I'll be following suit quite often, though I'm sure I'll also be spending quite a bit of time cruisin' around on my own. One of my favorite things to do in SWG and WoW (especially after they introduced flying mounts) was always just going around and looking at the environment; if the zone had relaxing music, it just made the experience even better. Before I canceled my WoW account and after I got Cold Weather Flying, The Grizzly Hills, The Storm Peaks and Wintergrasp have been my favorite spots to just cruise around.

I'm also pretty sure that we will be able to send each other waypoints or coordinates of some sort so traveling together will be a breeze.

EDIT#4: If anyone wishes to reply to the socializing issues I cover in the EDITs of this post, please direct your comments/questions here to a thread I started in the interests of keeping this thread on-topic.

EDIT:
On that note, I suspect the fleet will eventually find a spot in-game where our base of operations/central-hub will be. I suspect we will also have an "outpost" (I use the term loosely because it's going to be a while before player structures get implemented) or meeting area in one of the first few hubs/zones/whatever out from the starting area in the interest of actually including new/"low level" fleet members in fleet activities or just to get them on their feet. I suggest this mostly because when I was just starting out (and didn't know anyone IRL at the time who played) in WoW, I joined a guild after I had a dozen or two hours of gameplay under my belt. I had the basics down, but I still had no idea how a lot of the game's features were supposed to work, and yes, I did read the manual, but Blizz didn't put a whole lot of work into that one. Anyway, the point of that info is leading up to this: I would keep an eye on the guild chat and because of the kind of typing you would expect out of a WoW guild, so to use the old adage, it was all Greek to me. Most of the guild members were a much higher level than I was and would help with quests if you asked, but didn't really try to interact at all. Granted, I've gone off on quite a bit of a tangent here, but what I'm getting at (relating to travel) is that if we have a designated meeting point or two (almost like telling everyone where to set their hearthstone) fleet members will end up being in close proximity more often and thus improve communication, which could be a great boon to making teh newbs feel welcome and making the whole experience a little more real, more human.

EDIT#2:
I figured it might be a good idea to provide some context. I'm very vocal on the subject of including people because there was some sharp contrast between my WoW and SWG expeirences. In SWG, a buddy of mine IRL who I've been friends with since I was like nine years old at summer camp eventually convinced me to pick up a copy of the game. Right away, I had someone to show me the ropes and get me into a fairly small, close-knit guild where people would actually take the time to just hang out at cantinas to chat about anything from guild politics to recent gameplay changes to how things are going IRL and they always made time to help out the new guys. Eventually more and more guild members left the game as it became increasingly unplayable, but it really shaped what I expected of a guild in an MMO from that point on, something that I never got out of WoW. In WoW, people were always doing their own thing and bouncing around from city to city or zone to zone for whatever reason; everything was rush, rush, rush, do your quests, go raid, AH your loot and nobody ever took the time to connect on any kind of a personal level.

I'm also not saying it was because of the way the games were set up, not to say that the game structure didn't influence the players at all, but more that the players wouldn't travel together unless they were raiding in WoW because they didn't see a reason to, they all had their eyes on the prize and hardly anything else. SWG, on the other hand was a less objective-oriented game, you were just some schmuck in the Star Wars universe. The two types of games attracted different crowds and most of (but certainly not all of) them had different attitudes on how to treat newbs. I'm hoping that STO will have a good blend of the two styles where there will be objectives and reasons to group together, but also plenty of "down time" or opportunities to just chill with your fleet members in a relaxed setting with an interesting environment that isn't always a crowded as hell commerce center looping the same music every thirty seconds*. *phew* Now that I'm done with that spiel, let's hear from someone else already!

* Yet another reason why I liked SWG better than WoW: the Musician profession. It always made social settings a little more fun to have "live" music that required a player (or several players to make a band), sounded half way decent and made an impact in-game.

EDIT#3:
I also never intended this post to be straight-up WoW bashing. WoW is a fun game, I love it and if I hadn't gotten bored with the level 80 content after a couple months, I would probably still be playing. I just wanted to say that it comes up short in the social realm, partially because of the way the game is set-up and partially because most of the players that I've encountered were very goal-oriented and I guess they just didn't think a lot of chit-chat would do them any good. I bet there are tons of people, probably even a few in this fleet that have had positive social experiences with WoW. This post was just intended to be a reminder that without in-game interaction that goes beyond "WTB ITEM X, PST", the social element of STO could quickly become very stale.
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 7:15 pm

Well as was said before, it depends on whos online and whats going on. I expect we will gather up for fleet combat. Exploration will probably be more solo but no reason why a group of ships cant go exploring together. raidisodes are 5 mans at end game so for that youd just group up with 4 other people in the fleet and fly around with them for the raidisode.
Back to top Go down
Shadowfox1701

Shadowfox1701

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:26 pm

To solo, or to group? That is the current question. I prefer being in a group because for me it is more fun to quest with friends than alone. However i do need my "alone" time and will make use of it. Tho i have had a recent idea: I've been thinking of possibly making a ship whose only purpose is to pvp and go into situations where survival is not guaranteed. I shall call this ship: U.S.S. Red Shirt. =D
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:31 pm

to go off from what you were quoting shadow.

To group or not to group. That is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the bolts and torpedos of outrageous klingons alone, or to take arms with a fleet of ships against a sea of systems. And by opposing, end them.
Back to top Go down
Kuzhito

Kuzhito

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:50 am

personally Id wanna level in a full group of 5 just to avoid the "pets" during ground combat.
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 5:12 pm

lol I kinda like the idea of the pets, but yea with people you can spread out and find stuff faster.
Back to top Go down
Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I am (Captain)Ensign Jack Sparrow. Smile
I had the fastest ship on the caribbean and now I will had a fastest ship in the whole galaxy.
Others are just slowing me down. Very Happy
So others please buzz off won't ya.U don't want me to start yellin' at ya pirat

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHH !!!!

Wher's my bottle of rum.

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
chickenbranches

chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Lol if you go off on your own cause your so fast you will get ganked by a fleet of klingon ships and wont have any support Smile
Back to top Go down
Durgan

Durgan

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptyMon Nov 30, 2009 11:19 pm

By far grouping is the way to go, but hopefully someone will be on the hours that i will be i hate my job so much lol.
Back to top Go down
asrock

asrock

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 8:34 pm

I know alot of my coments go back to COH, but that was done by Cryptic and I think sheads a lot of light on how they may handle STO, like with COH you could do sidekicks and such allowing high level characters to play with low level and balance out the play together. Which was a fantastic way for a high level to work of death debt fast. I would expect a simial system to be in play in this game to allow a mixture of levels to play together without high levels dominating or low levels getting stompted alot.
Back to top Go down
http://cgcomputerz.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how will we travel???   how will we travel??? Empty

Back to top Go down

how will we travel???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
44th Fleet :: Fleet Command :: General Discussions-
Jump to: