Carlitosway

PostSubject: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:54 am

deleted

Last edited by Carlitosway on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vampyre

PostSubject: Re: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:22 am

Buy the authenticator. its like 6.50 or if you have an Iphone the app is free. its a random number generator linked to your account. You press a button and presto a one time use number code along with your PW gets you into the game. The number rests itself along with the account evey 15 seconds or when you log in. This way hackers can not key log ya when you enter the game.

Not bad for 6 bucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lexor90

PostSubject: Re: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:49 am

Yea the authenticator is specifically keyed to the specified account that no one else can replicate. After my brother had his account hacked. . .twice. . .we got 2 of them. Have to say it is much nicer to have it plus the number generator code is supposed to be crack proof but we will see if that persists until someone figures out the mathematics behind it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chickenbranches

PostSubject: Re: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:03 am

One of the people in my guild in WoW said his friend's account was hacked recently as well. Seems like people are taking advantage of the account merge as you said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:36 am

Man, that sucks, hopefully STO will either have those authenticator devices or at least a better authentication system than so many online games use these days.

EDIT: Hmmm... I wonder if it would be a good idea or an unnecessary security risk to have an option in authentication systems to log which IP addresses access your account so that way you could immediately alert affected persons or organizations to strange activity... that also makes me wonder if companies like Cryptic and Blizzard keep logs of which IP addresses accessed which account at which time... would that be a violation of privacy and is that even covered in the EULA? (I've never actually read one from beginning to end, heh.) It should be if it's not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Krulle

PostSubject: Re: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:49 am

Kugis Borgir wrote:
Man, that sucks, hopefully STO will either have those authenticator devices or at least a better authentication system than so many online games use these days.

EDIT: Hmmm... I wonder if it would be a good idea or an unnecessary security risk to have an option in authentication systems to log which IP addresses access your account so that way you could immediately alert affected persons or organizations to strange activity... that also makes me wonder if companies like Cryptic and Blizzard keep logs of which IP addresses accessed which account at which time... would that be a violation of privacy and is that even covered in the EULA? (I've never actually read one from beginning to end, heh.) It should be if it's not.

I can tell you this for sure because I got my account banned for awhile from it a few years ago. my friend was trying to get on it and run himself through SM or some instance and blizzard thought it was funny an IP from another state was using the account. so they suspended the account till I could prove I was the owner. I told them my friend was really my younger brother(it's ok if a sibling has your account info). I explained why he was using it and they understood and unlocked the account.

so in short, yes they do keep track of IP's that log into accounts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Good to know, thanks for the tip... I kinda figured that it would be standard practice to have someone monitoring for funky IP addresses... (I mean, how often is somebody in China going to be using an account that was registered in the US for example...) I wonder how long they keep those logs for, because unless Blizz wants to keep terabytes of information that nobody will likely ever look at again stored in their basement, I bet they only keep the logs for like a week or two... then again, hard drives are so cheap these days I could totally see them getting some kind of room full of boxes hard drives and tape storage to legally cover their asses in any event...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!   

Back to top Go down

VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE READ!!
Page 1 of 1