44th Fleet
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleet Roster Conference Room

HomeEdenLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!

Go down 
+2
Kugis Borgir
Desmond2411
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Desmond2411

Desmond2411

Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! Empty
PostSubject: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Hello and greetings to all!

My name is Brian, and I live in Reno, Nevada. Currently I am attentending College and majoring in Education. I became interested in the Star Strek film after I saw the one created by director J.J Abrams. However, I have a lot of roleplaying and MMO experiance after 5 years of World of Warcraft. Their I ran a roleplaying guild called 'The Citadel Guard' for about two years. I'm also an avid raider. I've been looking around the STO forums for a Fleet. And, found the 44th! I'd really like to become a member of the Exploration division or diplomacy!

I can be reached through this forum or from Yahoo messanger. My screen name is Dezz81@ymail. com

Thank you!!
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 10:53 pm

I'm going to go ahead and preemptively say welcome to the fleet! Because you mentioned that you liked the new movie, I highly recommend checking out other Star Trek movies/shows to get a feel and context for STO. The original series or Star Trek The Next Generation would probably be the ideal places to start because the beginning of Deep Space Nine and Voyager (Voyager is influenced more directly by DS9 than TNG) are independent of but heavily influenced by the events of Next Gen which is influenced (but not as directly as DS9 or Voyager) by the original series.
Back to top Go down
Desmond2411

Desmond2411

PostSubject: Much thanks!!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 12:39 am

Thank you very much for the information! I've been wondering around the internet an such; trying to acquire as much information as I can just about Star Trek in general! And man there is a lot, no doubt! And, I most certainly think you are correct about watching the episodes and such. Defiently the most sound way to emerese myself in the universe and lore.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 12:56 am

Your welcome, I'm always happy to help get someone else hooked on Trek, heh. By the way, here is a useful link for watching Next Generation online;I'm not sure how legal it is for this site to host it, but it's perfectly legal for you to view the content. I recommend starting with the first episode and watching it via tudou.com through the provided link. Just open each part of the episode in a new tab, pause each part and go get a sandwich or something while it starts loading. By the time you get back it should be loaded enough to just click play on the first part and by the time you finish watching the first part, the next one should be loaded. It's also pretty handy to start the first part of a new episode loading while the last part of the one your watching is finishing, that way you can watch for as long as you want without having to wait too long for it to load. On a related note, here is a link to a different section of that site with Deep Space Nine episodes and here is a link for Voyager episodes. If your interested in watching the original series online, hulu.com provides most of the (if not the entire) series through cbs.com... or is it nbc... either way, that's pretty much all you need to get started. Enterprise is out there too, but frankly, most people (myself included) think the series listed above are better and you get everything you need to know with TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY. I hope this helped, see ya on the forums!

EDIT: Unfortunately I don't know of any websites off the top of my head that host Star Trek movies online, I'm sure you could just google it, but Trek movies always have great special effects for the time, so I would recommend watching the DVDs which I'm certain would be available at your local video rental establishment and public library.

EDIT#2: As for which Star Trek movies to watch, I figure it would be good to mention that Star Trek I-VI follow the crew of the original series, where as Star Trek VII-X (Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis in that order) follow the Next Generation crew. I would recommend starting with either II (Wrath of Khan) or Generations and proceeding in the given order from there. The order in which you watch them isn't particularly important because they have bits of dialogue to explain the events of the last movie, but it's a lot more clear what's going on if you do watch them in order... except for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which is almost completely unrelated to any of the other movies. (I suspect just because it did so poorly at the box office.)
Back to top Go down
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:46 am

Desmond2411 wrote:
Hello and greetings to all!

My name is Brian, and I live in Reno, Nevada. Currently I am attentending College and majoring in Education. I became interested in the Star Strek film after I saw the one created by director J.J Abrams. However, I have a lot of roleplaying and MMO experiance after 5 years of World of Warcraft. Their I ran a roleplaying guild called 'The Citadel Guard' for about two years. I'm also an avid raider. I've been looking around the STO forums for a Fleet. And, found the 44th! I'd really like to become a member of the Exploration division or diplomacy!

I can be reached through this forum or from Yahoo messanger. My screen name is Dezz81@ymail. com

Thank you!!

Greetings Desmond2411!

We are glad that you have decided to join our ranks! We do not have an official exploration division, but the closest department to that would be the science/R&D department. If it is ok with you, I will assign you into that dept as an ensign. If, in looking through the fleet roster, you would like to be in a different dept, just let us know. We can easily move you.

Just some housekeeping items:
1) You can download your avatar under 'profile' and then 'avatar'. Look in the gallery. Your avatar is the blue one with the single gold pip (the last one on the second row). You can copy this into your STO (star trek online) forum avatar too. Blue is for science. One gold pip is for the rank of Ensign.

2) Because STO has not launched yet, promotions in rank will be based on activity on the STO forums, activity in recruting, and activity here on our forums. We like to keep our STO forum thread bumped to the first page to maintain visibility, so posting there will be helpful. Here's the link.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=25638

3) We have an RP (role-playing) forum, but this is optional.

4) There is an "introductions" thread in the "Fleet Tactics" forum (which you should have access to momentarily). Tell us a little about yourself, as much as you like. This area of the website is visible only to members of the 44th.

If you have any questions about the fleet, the game, or Star Trek in general, just post it on our forums here or at the STO forums. Or, you can PM me if you like.

Once again, welcome aboard!
Back to top Go down
Desmond2411

Desmond2411

PostSubject: Awesome!!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:15 am

The Science and R&D department sounds great! Forgive me for mixing up the departments...my mistake! I appreciate the kindness and assistance in getting me started on the webiste. As you can see im quite estacic about the release of STO. Ever since I saw the newest film I've been quite interested in the lore and characters. I can't get enough. I'm also stoked about being able to roleplay and many other things. At the moment I'm having a difficult time creating a name for my ship, and the proper rank for the leader of that ship. Any suggestions?

As far as a name goes I was going to go with 'Ardriand Velasar'
Back to top Go down
Latinumbar
Admiral
Latinumbar

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:33 am

Desmond2411 wrote:
The Science and R&D department sounds great! Forgive me for mixing up the departments...my mistake! I appreciate the kindness and assistance in getting me started on the webiste. As you can see im quite estacic about the release of STO. Ever since I saw the newest film I've been quite interested in the lore and characters. I can't get enough. I'm also stoked about being able to roleplay and many other things. At the moment I'm having a difficult time creating a name for my ship, and the proper rank for the leader of that ship. Any suggestions?

As far as a name goes I was going to go with 'Ardriand Velasar'

That sounds like a great name for a character.

As far as the rank of your character, in game you will start out as Lieutenant. Although, the person in command of the ship is called 'captain', that may or may not be your actual rank. In Star Trek, all the ship captains like Kirk, Picard, and Janeway all carried an official rank of Captain. Starfleet ranks are based on the US Naval rank system. Ensign --> Lieutenant Junior Grade --> Lieutenant --> Lieutenant Commander --> Commander --> Captain.
Back to top Go down
Vampyre

Vampyre

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:47 am

I would go with the USS Expedition not only does it sound cool but it goes alonf with the whole exporer thing as well. just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Kugis Borgir

Kugis Borgir

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 2:52 am

Latinumbar wrote:

That sounds like a great name for a character.
I second the motion.

Latinumbar wrote:

As far as the rank of your character, in game you will start out as Lieutenant. Although, the person in command of the ship is called 'captain', that may or may not be your actual rank. In Star Trek, all the ship captains like Kirk, Picard, and Janeway all carried an official rank of Captain. Starfleet ranks are based on the US Naval rank system. Ensign --> Lieutenant Junior Grade --> Lieutenant --> Lieutenant Commander --> Commander --> Captain.

It might also be worth mentioning that in the shows/movies/books/comics/whatever the rank system continues to various sorts of admirals that are given different responsibilities and positions in the rank hierarchy depending on what flavor of admiral they are, but in STO, it looks like admiral will be the highest achievable rank and doesn't seem to have any of the subdivisions of admiral found in the cannon, it just goes Captain --> Admiral and then that's as far as you can get.
Back to top Go down
Desmond2411

Desmond2411

PostSubject: Thank you!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:13 am

Thanks, 'Ardriand' was an old WoW character...figured it sounded 'Trekish'. And, yeah! USS Expedition does sound goood! Now I'm stuck...USS Expedition or USS Eclipse?
Back to top Go down
Vampyre

Vampyre

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:23 am

the eclips is nice also but, this is how I name my ships, I name them for the role they would play. Since i plan on being the "DPS" type ship i am sticking with "Blood Lust" nothing like confusing the empire with a a name they might use, but also i plan to stike fear into the enemy.

If i was to be a cruiser type it would be more trek tradtional. Famous war hero or town. Like Uss Woodbridge (where i grew up) or USS Blizzard od OZ (it was my military tanks name)

If i was the healer type support, it would be after exploration or things of that nature.

But i think the expedition would suit you well.
Back to top Go down
Desmond2411

Desmond2411

PostSubject: Awesome!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:30 am

The USS Blood Lust, Awesome name! And, might I also add how much I respect a person for serving in the armed forces! Good to have you in the 44th, Vamp! I also decided to go with the USS Expedition fits what I want to do with my character and all that. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Dondead
Vice Admiral
Dondead

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 6:22 am

Welcome aboard Brian. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://supersly.hyves.nl/blog/13214728/Social_Decay/mxYk/
Desmond2411

Desmond2411

PostSubject: Thanks!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:31 am

Thank you very much Vice Admiral, its a pleasure to amongst the 44th!
Back to top Go down
Intrepid
Admiral
Intrepid

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Welcome ensign! Feel free to be yourself here. We're a pretty tightly-knit group so come on and pull a chair over.
Back to top Go down
Vampyre

Vampyre

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 7:36 pm

just not too close. I tend to bite. (aha stupid vampyre humor Razz)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!   Enlisting with the 44th Fleet! Empty

Back to top Go down

Enlisting with the 44th Fleet!
Page 1 of 1